SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

11.06.2008

Homemade Rasam Powder

I recently posted about the tomato rasam. Most of time we end up buying the rasam powder from shops. When in India, it was either from my Mom or from my mom-in-law. Sometimes I feel that being away from them makes me learn stuff that I wouldn't have if I was with them.Hmm..I think it is the case with most of us. Is it not?

Rasam Powder

I have been preparing rasam with this powder for a week now and I must say, it tastes like my mother's. Yey! finally! Here is the homemade rasam powder recipe which I learnt from my mother.

Ingredients:

1 cup of Peppercorns
1 cup of cumin seeds
2 1/2 cup of Dhaniya(coriander seeds)
1 cup of toor dhal and channa dal together (optional)

Method:

In a pan, fry all the ingredients till they change light brown.

Allow it to cool

Grind them into fine powder in a blender.

You can store them for a month in an air tight container. Use 1 or 2 spoons of this powder in your rasam preparation. I assure your rasam will taste great and smell awesome!

8 comments:

rasam with homemade rasam powder tastes wayyy better than store bought one , nice recipe sangeeth

Wooww Sangeeth..wat a click...my preparation is almost the same, but i used to add dry red chillies..

I can smell the aroma right from the picture! mmm. spicy rasam powder!

This is a different rasam powder than what i prepare at home..i add red chillies to it

I HAVE A MOTOR AND PESTOL WITH ME AND I LOVE TO MAKE MY RASAM PWD WITH IT WHEN I HAVE GUESTS AY HOME THEY SAY I STILL USE THE WAY OLD METHOD BUT I LOVE THE RASAM PWD WHEN ITS FRESH URAD AND CHANNA DHAL I HAVE NEVER USED BUT SHALL GIVE IT A TRY

I add some red chillies, too, but this sounds just as good! :)

I'm going to try your Rasam recipe. Is it true each state in India has different versions of Rasam?