SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

7.23.2008

Cluster Beans or The Indian Beans (Kothavarangai) Poriyal

Whenever we go for grocery shopping, we come across this cluster beans/Indian beans/Kothavarangai, but will be highly hesitant to buy because of its price. Yes, it is costly! at least in our Chicago area. Though we both do not have that much love for kothavarangai/cluster beans/Indian beans, this time I decided to try it out. Now, I was in a dilemma whether to cook this kothavarangai either as poriyal or as kootu. Both can be used as side dish. However, I remembered one of my in law's recipe and hence decided to do Kothavarangai/Cluster beans/Indian beans Poriyal.
Ingredients:
Cluster beans/Indian beans/Kothavarangai - 1 cup
1 tsp urad dal
1 tsp channa dal
Few curry leaves
2 tsp chilli powder
Salt to taste
1 tsp mustard
A pinch of Hing
2-4 tsp of Groundnut powder
2 tsp of oil

Method:

Cut the cluster beans and wash them.

In a pan, add oil, mustard seeds. When the seeds pops, add hing, urad dal, channa dal and curry leaves. Saute them for few seconds.

Add the cut cluster beans and some water to cook the beans. Throughout this process do cook in a medium flame.

Occasionally stir and see if it requires more water to cook.

When you are sure that the beans is cooked, add the groundnut powder and mix well.

Serve hot.

Note:

For the groundnut powder, just grind the raw ground nut or roast the ground nuts and grind them into a fine powder. Either way it adds great flavour to the dish.

While cooking the beans, make sure that you do not overcook or add excess water. This may spoil the dish.

10 comments:

This is a very tasty bean! Something different than reg beans. Yummy curry, simple yet delicious!

I love kottavarangai, even bought this week! Yummy curry

Adding peanut powder looks like a good idea. the curry looks so delicous sangeeth!

Reg. your recent query: I am already on vacation and I am posting the recipes from my sister's kitchen. Thanks dear!

It's been a long time since I made kathavarangai. Also I have never tried it with peanut powder. Wanna try it!!

Hey Sangeeth!!!
Thanks for dropping by.....
The bean curry with peanut powder sounds really delicious :)

great. now a days I see lots of my favourite things in the blogs. again this beans is my love. I eat this with roti having curd. wowoooooooo

Kotharanga looks gud..we too make somewhat same style

never had poriyal, not that i know of.....but seems to be a nice recipe

I love this..we call it Gawarfali... we make it differently and it tastes best when cooked fresh...Will try your way sometime..

cluster beans sounds yummy!
here we can get frozen one. those are not expensive :)