SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

6.09.2008

Vazhaikai (Plantain) Poriyal

This blog is so close to me that I feel very lonely if I do not post and interact with fellow bloggers. This blog is kind of my family now. I have reached India safely and I am enjoying my stay. I was at my in-laws for the past few days but now I am at my parents place as my hubby's office is near from my mom's place.Yes! he has to work from here for 2 weeks only after that the real vacation starts. Anyways I have started to give my menu details to my mom and my mother-in-law. Both are great cook and I like many of their recipes. Today I am posting one of my mom's recipe which is my favourite. Vazhaikai Poriyal is one of my first choice when it comes to side dish for More kozhambu, an authentic South Indian gravy done for marriages and for festivals. I am sending this to JFI-Jihva for Tamarind .Here is the link to the JFI main page which was started by Indira of Mahanadi.



Ingredients:

1 Raw Plantain (Vazhaikai)- peeled and sliced
1 cup tamarind juice

Salt to taste

1 tsp urad dal

1 tsp mustard seeds

A pinch of hing powder

2 Red chilli whole

2 tsp grated coconut (fresh or frozen)

1 tsp turmeric powder

2 or 3 curry leaves

1 tsp of oil


Method:

In a pan, add the sliced plantain (vazhaikai) and add tamarind juice with turmeric powder and required salt.

Cook until the Plantain is tender. Switch off and keep it aside.

In an other pan, add 1 tsp of oil and add mustard seeds. When it pops add hing powder and urad dal. Saute for few seconds. Now add the curry leaves and red chilli whole.

Now add the cooked Plantain (Vazhaikai) and mix well.

Add grated coconut and mix well.


Serve hot.

As I told earlier, I love it with More kozhambu, but you can have it with any of your favourite rice item.

22 comments:

nice recipe,..waitin forpic,..

posted the pic...had some problem in uploading.....:)

Hi Sangeeth.... That was a nice recipe. Looks good. Love to have it with some sambar rice.

One of my fav. side dish..we make this for theeyal and sambhar.But we don't use tamarind juice.I have to try this..

my favorite all time side dish!

good to know that you're having a good time with your family, sangeeth! A lovely recipe from your mom. Mom's are great! Delicious recipe.

In vazhaka porriyal we won't use tamarind sounds good the tamarind :) Hope u enjoy ur stay!

So many delicious recipes in this blog!

Thank you!

Gorgeous recipe! I love vaazhakkai poriyal. Never tried with tamarind, but I'm sure it would be great. Hope you're having a great time in India! :)

Vazhakkai poriyal with tamarind, that sounds new and interesting.. will have to try yours for sure..

Sounds great with tamarind.. nice side dish..

My sis makes this when I visit her and I have always loved it.

lovely recipe sangeeth and i too would like to have it with more kuzhambu if u cook it for me ;)

great entry sangeeth!! enjoying ur vacation eh? even if the "real" vacation starts only after 2 weeks, it must be such a pleasure to stay at ur place! :-)Enjoy ur time off!

Never had this before, but love the recipe will try soon. Thanks for sharig. enjoy your vacation..:)

Very nice recipe, thanxxxx for sharing :))

oooh! i have two vazhakka sitting in my fridge. just asked my mil how to make vazhakka podimas. going to try it tonight :)

nice recipe and a nicer blog....why not more of non-veg ??

Very nice looking dish. I have left a little game of tag for you at my blog. Please check it out! :)

hey snageeth, come over to my place for a lil something and a meme!! :-)

hehe, I know how tempting it is to blog during vacation... :) Hope you are having fun in India Sangeeth... Thanks for the second entry...

Never had this before, but love the recipe will try definitely. Thanks for sharing.