SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

11.16.2008

Milagai Podi/Chilli powder- An easy Side dish for many South Indian Tiffen Recipes

When I hear the word Milagai podi, which is a Tamil word for Chilli powder, I immediately get reminded of Idly and Dosa. This is a very famous side dish for these south Indian Tiffen recipes. They make the tiffen spicy and yummy to eat.

Milagai Podi

There are different ways of preparing this Milagai powder which is used as a side dish. But here I have combined my mothers and my mother-in-law's method.

Ingredients:

1 cup dry red chillies
1 tbspn Channa Dal
1/2 tbspn Urad Dal
1/2 tbspn Dhaniya (Coriander seeds)
3-4 Garlic Flakes

Method:

In a pan, roast the urad and channa dal until they become light brown.

Now add the coriander seeds and fry for few seconds.

Add the red chillies and garlic and fry for few seconds.

Cool the mixture and grind it.

You can either grind it into a very fine powder or coarse powder.

I generally make them coarse because we love the crunchy effect that this powder produces.

Add 2 tsp of this powder and add some oil and mix them together. Eat them with Idly/Dosa.YUM!

Note: You can store this powder upto 1 week in an air tight container.

4 comments:

Hi Dear,
Check my awards page for some gifts for you

sooper recipe...but the idli caught my attention. Cool shaped idlis....look yummy!!!!!!

This actually looks like a dish that we used to get from street vendors in Hong Kong when I was a little girl. :) I'm drooling on my keyboard!

I completely love the podi. can't imagine my idlis without it