SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

11.21.2008

Garlic Naan - Indian Flat Bread For Breadline Africa

Garlic Naan is my favorite Indian flat bread. Whenever I go to an Indian restaurant, I order this item. Yummy! I wanted to try this at home but was not sure how it will come out. Finally, I did try this yesterday and it turned out awesome. This is a very simple recipe but you got to do it right to get the recipe right. I also made mattar paneer to go with this and our dinner was perfect!

I don't know why, but my smoke alarm has a great feeling for my oven. whenever I switch on the oven, the smoke alarm goes off. So typical! I could only make 2 Naans using oven and I made the rest using my tawa on stove top. Either way, it tasted grate.

Naan - Indian Flat Bread


Ning of Heart and Hearth tagged me for baking a bread for good cause. Yes!Breadline Africa launched the Worldwide Blogger Baker Bake-Off Challenge aiming at raising $ 1 M in funds. This bake-off gives us baking bloggers the power to make a difference in this world. What do we do? Bake bread. Give Dough. Feed Africa.
Breadline Africa says : On 15 October, we launched The Breadline Africa Worldwide Blogger Bake Off.

The Blogger Bake Off is an online campaign that challenges bloggers to get involved by baking bread, and then acting by donating to end poverty. And then, challenge their readers and five other bloggers to do the same.

With the money raised, we will be supporting grass roots community projects aimed at ending poverty and hunger in Africa. We’ll be placing container kitchens, vegetable gardens and more in poor communities, sending emergency food relief where needed and helping these poor communities to help themselves.

The rules for bloggers are outlined below:

If you are tagged, copy and paste the rules into your post.

Bake bread, do something you wouldn’t normally do, and blog about it. Upload your picture and recipe.

Give dough, donate to Breadline Africa and help us end poverty.

Tag five bloggers, and ping us so we know you’ve done so.

The person who raises the most funds will get to name a Breadline Africa community kitchen and win $500 Amazon Vouchers.

There are also three minor prizes of $250 Amazon vouchers for people who receive the most votes in the following categories: Most Unusual Recipe; Most Nutritious Recipe and Most Traditional Recipe.

I prepared this Garlic Naan as it is a traditional Indian recipe.

Ingredients:

1 cup of All purpose flour
salt to taste
1/4 cup warm water
1 tsp dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
1/4 cup of milk
1 tbspn of minced garlic

Naan- Indian Flat Bread with Mattar Paneer

Method:

In a small bowl, add the yeast to the warm water. Add sugar to make the yeast activate.

Rest it for 10 minutes.

Now add the required amount of salt and milk and mix well.

In a medium bowl, add t he all purpose flour. Add this yeast mixture and make it into a dough.

The dough must be very soft, even if it is sticky that is fine but it must be very very soft.

Cover it and rest it for 20 minutes.

Now preheat the oven to 500 degree F.

Make a medium size ball from the dough, add some flour and make it into a round shape.

Toss it between your hands. This makes shape of the naan and slightly pull it one side so that it looks more like a triangle.

If you want your Naan to be in round shape or square, go ahead.

Place the Naan in a non-stick pan and bake it for 2 min one side. Remove it, turn and bake the other side for 30 to 45 seconds.

For preparing Garlic Naan, add 1 tsp of the minced garlic to Naan dough while making the medium ball. Do the same procedure.

Apply butter immediately on the Naan and serve hot with side dish of your choice. I love this with Mattar paneer/Paneer Tikka masala/Aloo Mattar.

If you do not have oven or for some reason your smoke alarm goes off whenever you use your oven (like in my house), you can also make this Naan in stove top using the Tawa/griddle.

Make sure that you cook both the sides well in medium heat and then enjoy. What I personally felt using this method was that the Naan was even more soft. But the yeast taste for predominant. So be careful while cooking. Be sure that the Naan is completely cooked before you eat.

I am tagging

Terrasa
Lauren
Jenn
Ben
Jill

Hope you could participate guys. Happy Baking!

9 comments:

Hey there, I'll do it! Is there a deadline for when you need to do it by though? I'm not sure I'll get to it until December, but if that's too late, I'll do it sooner.

And thanks for the garlic naan recipe, by the way! That is one of our favorite things too. The kids could have that for a meal when we go out to eat Indian.

Yummy Naan breads, makes me hunger...lovely clicks for a good cause...Sangeeth bravo for ur tremendous work..

The naans look very delicious..and a great cause to bake for...

lovely naans for a wonderful cause! looks so good Sangeeth!

Garlic naans are my fav too... Your palatte looks awesome... Naans have turned out awesome

Perfect! Looks great too. Kudos to you for baking for a good cause.

Looks lovely! great pic girl! and this with mattar panner? Yummy

i love garlic naan .. this looks great

This is the first bread I have encountered that a griddle on the stove top can be used. This is very interesting to me as I am quite lazy to fire up the oven. Thanks for sharing this recipe! :)