SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

10.19.2008

How to make Dosa/Idly batter/dough - A cooking video

I have always wanted to make a recipe/cooking video and share it to the world. But, I was a bit skeptical about how the outcome will be. Recently, with the encouragement of my foodie friends and readers, I have made this video on how to make a Dosa/Idly dough/batter. I have tried to be very clear in my instruction. Please comment on the video and your suggestions are highly appreciated.

I am still not comfortable showing my face in a video. May be I can in my future videos (If I do any). Here is the video for How to make the Dosa/Idly dough at home which is the base for the famous South Indian Recipes Idly and Dosa.




Ingredients:

4 Cup of Boiled Rice/Idly Rice Soaked for 4-5 hours
1 Cup of Urad Dal
1 tsp Fenugreek seeds (optional)

Method:

Add a tsp of fenugreek seeds to the urad dal while soaking. Soak for 45mts.

Grind the Soaked rice and urad dal separately.

Mix them well adding salt.

Allow them to ferment overnight. This process will take 16 - 20 hours.

Use the dough for Idly and Dosa preparation.

Tips:

- Adding Fenugreek seeds will make the Idly soft

- Also you add a pinch of baking powder to make the Idly fluffy and soft.

- You can also add Flattened rice (Aval in Tamil) while grinding the rice, so get crispy dosas and soft idly. You have to soak the flatted rice for 15mts before grinding.


Hope you all enjoyed the video. Please let me know what you think so that I can improve in my next video.

9 comments:

Hey Sangeetha,Great to see a video of how to make idli/dosa batter,Some of my friends who's cooking for 2 to 3 years got silly doubts about the idli/dosa batter...it's too good..Way to go..Expecting more from you

Nicely done! You have a very sweet voice.:)

wow, well done dear! enjoyed watching the video. Thanks for the instructions. So waiting for more such videos. Good job!

I like the video and ur voice too!

very nice video dear....u have explained everything so well...looking forward to more of such useful videos..:-)

Hey that was pretty neat... :)

Oh!Thanks a lot girls...I am really very happy!

Keep the videos coming sangeeth,they sound very useful to me:)