SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

4.11.2008

Mysore Pak Recipe


I am very happy today. There are two reasons for this. One is my friend Rani gave birth to a baby boy!!! and the next is I made Mysore pak! At 10.30am Rani called me and said she gave birth to a baby boy at 8.20am today. I was overwhelmed with joy! I wanted to prepare some sweet for her. When I was thinking, the first sweet that came into my mind is Mysore pak. Though it is difficult to prepare and I have never tried it before, I wanted to prepare. And to my surprise it came out well ...at least I liked it! Though the shape did not turn out to be as in store bought Mysore pak, the taste was good. Thanks to Vah chef Sanjay...I did the sweet according to his instruction.
Ingredients:

Besan/Gram flour - 1.5 Cups
Sugar - 2 cups
1 cup - Ghee/vanaspathi
1 cup - Oil
1/2 cup - Water
Method:
This sweet is one of the difficult sweets to prepare. However, if we do with our full concentration and love we can get a good output.
First mix besan gram flour with little ghee and sieve. This is done to avoid any lumps that will be formed. Avoiding lumps is very important for this sweet.

Take sugar in thick bottomed saucer/Non stick pan (like a big kadai).
Add water and let it boil to form sugar syrup till it is soft ball stage. This stage can be found in 2 ways.
1. take the syrup in your thumb and forefinger and try to open the fingers. If a string is formed then it is the correct stage.
2. You can also put few drops of syrup in bowl of water. This syrup should go and settle in the bottom and when you try to take it out it must form something like a ball.
Meanwhile melt the ghee/oil in a kadai. And have the ghee/oil in Sim flame throughout this process.
Now add the flour slowly to the sugar syrup and mix rapidly so that no lumps are formed.
Then add the hot ghee to the flour (1 big spoon at a time) , stirring continuously .
Cook till the mixture becomes frothy and ghee separates. This will take 5 to 7 mts. Might take long also according your quantity.
Make sure that you do this process of making sugar syrup and melting ghee/oil in Sim flame throughout.
Spread out on a greased plate and let it cool for 5min. Cut into squares when firm.
Store it in an air tight box and eat whenever you want!
Note: Even if you miss any minute instruction, your sweet will either become like halwa or will be like stone.

2 comments:

no bother shape. tasteand smoothness invite appreciation

This comment has been removed by the author.