SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

11.02.2008

Bhel Puri - The famous Indian Chat recipe

I still remember my school days where we five (we were like the Famous five in our school) stand in queue to get the Bhel Puri served in the shop near our school. Usually this will be after the swimming classes that took place during weekends. We used to have loads of fun in the swimming class and the minute we get out of the class we all will be standing in this shop. We would be so hungry and this Bhel Puri would taste awesome. I still remember the taste. Y-U-M-M-Y!

Bhel Puri Recipe

I have tried many versions of this famous Indian chat, but nothing could match the taste of the Bhel Puri from the street shop. Hmm...what to do?, may be they have some secret ingredient...anyways I prepared this bhel puri last Saturday during snack time and here is the recipe.


Ingredients: (For 2 people)

For the bhel

2 cups of puffed rice
½ cup sev, which can be prepared from this omapodi/sev recipe
½ cup of papads broken (You can use any kind of chips)
1 onion finely chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 cup boiled chopped potatoes
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
salt to taste

Green Chutney

2 cups coriander leaves
1/2 cup mint leaves (optional)
5-6 green chilies
1 tbs lime juice
Salt to taste

Grind the above items to a fine paste by adding required water

Tamarind Chutney

3/4 cup tamarind water (lemon size tamarind soaked in water)
1/2 cup dates deseeded
3/4 cup jaggery
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp salt

In a pan add the tamarind water, seedless dates, jaggery, cumin powder, and salt. Bring them to boil and cook for 8- 10 minutes. Cool the mixture and grind it.


Method:

Mix puffed rice, sev, and broken papadi in a large bowl.

Add onions, tomato, boiled potato, add required green and tamarind chutney.

Mix well and garnish with sev and cilantro leaves. Serve immediately :)

Note:

These chutneys can be stored (refrigerated) for 2 days in an air tight container.

11 comments:

Gr8 lady gr8...after burning calories in swimming,u use to eat bhelpuri......wow
I follow the recipe exactly as given by u,and like i always say...the streetfood magic is very hard to create at home...so no luck for me too:-(
This bowl looks tempting enough to grab,but i won't try, coz i know u haven't spared a single morsel for us...lolz

Lovely pic!!
Bheeeeeeeeeel Puri - My most fav chat....urs look so yummmmmmmy!

This is my first time here...u have a lovely space! jus popped in to say a hi!

This is my standard and fav chat

Nice one.. I have a really simple one .. from readymade ingredients posted on my blog :) I stopped making the chutneys these days.. !
BTW, send this over to the Sunday Snacks event I am hosting this month

http://pallavi-foodblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/event-sunday-snacks-fix-it.html

Am drooling now here..shall i pick the bowl?? mouthwatering..

Oh I miss it too! And I just adore any form of chaat. Looks great Sangeeth.

My favorite chaat! Looks beautiful! :)

Love bhelpuri.. i use haldirams mix here since we dont get murmura often :)

wow..I haven't had bhel in such a long time....you've inspired me to make some!

your bhel bowl looks delicious!

cheers,trupti
the spice who loved me

I adore Bhel. A local Indian restaurant used to have it on the menu, and they would make it specially for me when I came in after they took it off the menu. And now, I have the secrets to making my own. Excellent!

True, can't beat street food for its exotic taste any day. A bit of unhygienic cooking is the trick perhaps ;) - Rekha