SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

10.27.2008

Sevai prepared from leftover Idiyapam

Last weekend I tried Idiyappam, whose recipe I posted very recently. The thing is, with over enthusiasm I prepared more than what we required for our dinner. he!he! sometimes, no! no! most of the time I prepare in huge quantities not because I am lazy (so that I can use the leftovers for later), but I am used to it. I was in a joint family in India. Totally we were 6 people of different taste, especially when it comes to food, under the same roof.

Everyday me, my MIL and my co-sister prepare Lunch and dinner. Usually it will be in large quantities. Now you know why I tend to prepare in large quantities. Anyways cooking for two is much better than cooking and eating by yourself. Of course there is an exception if it is your favorite recipe.


Idiyappam/Sevai Upma

Coming to what I did with this leftover Idiyappam. I prepared Sevai or Iddiyappam upma or however you call it. Very simple and quick recipe. This is similar to Semiya(Vermicelli) Upma.

Ingredients:

1 cup Idiyappam (Rice Noodles) - Check out how to prepare Idiyappam.
1 tsp urad dal
1 tsp channa dal
1 tsp mustard
A pinch of Hing
1/2 cup lengthwise chopped onion
2 green chillies, chopped lengthwise
salt to taste
2 tsp oil
2 tsp lemon juice.

Idiyappam/Sevai Upma

Method:

In a pan, add oil, mustard seeds. When it pops add hing, urad and channa dal and saute.

Now add the green chillies and onions and saute till light brown.

Add salt.

Add the leftover Idiyappam or freshly prepared rice noodles and mix well.

Since Idiyappam is already cooked, just mix well and switch off the stove.

Add lemon juice and serve hot with Chutney/Dip.

8 comments:

nice idea to use up leftovers. This looks just like semiya upma!

Gr8 Idea,and it looks too good!
I loved the colours...and am sure it tasted gr8 too!
And b4 i forget...A very happy Diwali to u and UR family
Enjoy the festive Mood!

I really like the addition of rice noodles, they have this great texture. The spice really takes it up a notch too :) I figure if you don't mind cooking for groups, you could always make room for one more right? :)

Glad to visit your blog...lovely collection of yummy recipes!

Wish u a very Happy Diwali.Loved your recipe. very interesting,

Great recipe with leftovers! Looks like semiya upma.. :)

Happy Diwali to your family, Sangeeth!

I love rice noodles - my mom often makes Chinese fried noodles with it. This dish sounds so tasty!

Sangeeth, i like your new layout and the pictures are brighter too