SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

10.23.2008

Homemade Diwali Legiyam recipe

One thing I hate during Diwali is Diwali Legiyam. May be because my parents compelled me as a kids to eat it even though it tastes ...hmmm how can I put this? fill it up yourself. Why the hell do we have to eat this? There is a reason.

There is always a reason behind whatever our ancestors say. For Diwali, it is obvious that we will eat a lot of sweets and snacks without giving a thought on how our tummy is going to feel. Tongue gets the more importance here. So taking into account our little stomach, this legiyam (kind of medicine) is prepared.

Homemade Diwali Legiyam

When we eat this in an empty stomach, it helps us in digestion. So, as per the rule, get up early in the morning, take your bath and have a small amount of this Diwali Legiyam and then rush to bust your crackers! I am sending this and my other Diwali sweets and snacks to Pallavi's YFF - Diwali.

How to make Homemade Diwali Legiyam

My parents have always bought this from store. But, I wanted to try it. Mainly because I am not sure whether we get this in the US Indian shops. So here comes the recipe,


Ingredients:

Peppercorn - 2 tsps
Cumin seeds Jeera - 2 1/2 tsps
Coriander seeds - 2 1/2 tsps
Ajwain - 1/4 cup(25gms)
Dry or fresh ginger - one inch piece
Cardamom powder - 1tsp
Nutmeg - 1/2 piece
Ghee or clarified butter - 3 tbspn
KandaThipli (Desavaram Pipala mool) - 10 to 12 sticks
Jaggery (equal to the amount of ground paste) - 50 grms
Honey - 1 - 2 tsp

Method:

Mash all the dry medicinal ingredients in a blender.

Pour some water and soak them for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Grind into a soft paste in a blender.

Add 1/2 cup water and thoroughly mix up the paste and place in a heavy bottomed pan/vessel.

Cook it on a Sim flame, constantly stirring so that no lumps are formed.

When all the water is evaporated add the Jaggery and mix well.

Now add the ghee and mix well.

When the ghee separates, turn off the heat.

Add honey and mix well.

Store it in an air tight container.

Take one spoon of Legiyam on the day of Diwali.

Happy Diwali 2008 to you! Check out my other recipes (Sweets and Snacks) for Diwali

3 comments:

Never heard about it! sounds like a good plan before bingeing on all the sweets!

WOw sangeeth...i also remember that my parents compelled me to have this legiyam after having loads n loads of oily snacks n sweets..yea i hated them when i was kid..now can understand how good for us...Looks fabulous, am very much surprised to see this also...i dunno know how to prepare this legiyam before, now i cant say i dunno na!!! thanks for sharing sangeeth...

Wow! Sangeeth I love legyam a lot, infact more than the sweets themselves. I wonder where I am gonna find kanda thipili though.