SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

5.23.2008

Dhokla - A Famous Gujarati Fast Food

I don't know, but for some reason I have been doing Gujarati food for the past two days. Yesterday I made Kachori and today Dhokla. Both are my favourites. Both are easy to make and very delicious. Dhokla, a famous Gujarati fast food, is my husband's favourite. This food can be eating as snack or even for dinner. It does fill your tummy! Dhokla is a steamed food and you can make it either in Suji or with besan or with channa dal. Though the authentic Gujarati recipe for Dhokla involves fermentation and channa dal, I tried the suji version yesterday and will share the recipe with you all. I will try to post the channa dal version of Dhokla soon.

Ingredients:

1 cup suji/Rava/Semolina
2 Green chillies finely chopped
1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped

Salt to taste
1 cup plain yogurt
A pinch of eno salt

For Garnishing:
1 tsp oil
1tsp mustard seeds

1 green chilli
1tsp urad dal
1tsp channa dal

A few chopped cilantro

Method:

In a bowl, Mix suji, salt,yogurt,eno salt,green chillies,cilantro and mix well. Add little water and make the batter to the idly batter consistency. Rest the batter for 30 mts.

Now using a cake pan or thali, steam this mixture for
about 10 to15mts. Check regularly to confirm that the inside of this dhokla is cooked properly as you check when you bake a cake.

Note: You need to grease the cake pan or thali with some oil so that the dhokla comes out without sticking.

Let the dhokla cool for some time. After it is cooled, remove the dhokla from the vessel and place it in a plate.


In a pan, add oil, mustard seeds. When the seeds pops, add urad dal,channa dal, cilantro and green chillies.

Add this mixture on the steamed dhokla and cut them into desired shape and serve hot with Mint Chutney!



NOTE:
You can also use idly steamer to cook this dhokla. Instead of the Idly plates use a flat bottom vessel and place it 10-12cms
above the water level.

I am sending this to the SWC- Gujarati Cuisine event. This month it is hosted by Priyanka of Asankhana.

15 comments:

dhokla looks lovely, Sangeeth! You've made it perfect. Thanks for the easy recipe. I loved your mint chutney too. Have a great weekend ahead.

i love dhokla but i have never cooked one...the steaming thing turns me down

wow,,,u r realfast,..thanks alot for the yummy recipe,..stilltimelooking forward for more,..and ya thanks for linking kachodi too...:-0hve great weekend,..

Hi Sangeet,
From few weeks, i am looking Gujurathi recipes for this event :) U r just posting this lovely recipes ... I like the rava version and mint chutney too...

hi Sangeeth, first time here, liked ur name :) ur blog looks like a fun place ....gud luck to u

Hey I have a surprise for you in my blog:)

I love Dhokla. One of my fav snacks with afternoon tea.

Priya

sangeeth..that dokla looks yummy...
for mec, the entire dish has to be made in microwave!..you can use the batter and stream it in mw.

Wow...this is my hubby's favourite.The dhoklas look yummy.

Hey i love dhokla..but have never tried making it.Your recipe sounds yummy and I am surely gonna try it this weeknd.Thanks for the gr8 recipe.Keep up the gud work!

nice recipe .... want to try this

thank for posting nice recipes

dhoklai have tasted many times but never tried to make. this recipe looks easy enough for me to make. thanks. looks great
( and very nice blog in general)


dhokla looks pretty Sangeeth! u r realfast,..thanks alot for the yummy recipe,..stilltimelooking forward for more,..