SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

5.24.2008

Salatat Bathinjan - A Middle eastern Food made from Eggplant

Eggplant, often called "the poor man's meat". Most of my friends like eggplant. The name eggplant developed in the United States , Australia , New Zealand , and Canada because the fruits of some 18th century European cultivars were yellow or white and resembled goose or hen's eggs. So now we know why brinjal is called Eggplant. When I was searching for preparing something in Eggplant for fortune cooking event, I came across this wonderful recipe. This happens to be a recipe from Middle east. Yey! That is a jackpot now I can send this to Siri's AWED: Middle Eastern cuisine event too. This recipe is called Salatat Bathinjan, a famous appetizer from eggplant.

Ingredients:
Large Eggplant 2 - cut into thick slices
2-3 flakes of Garlic
Salt to taste
Oil to fry
1tsp of pepper
1tsp of lime juice

Method:
Sprinkle the eggplant slices with salt. Place in a strainer or colander, top with a weight, and allow to drain for 40- 45 minutes. This is done so that the moisture in the eggplant is removed. The Salt helps to achieve this.

Now place these slices in a towel/tissue and remove the water.

Heat the oil in a frying pan, then add the eggplant slices and fry on both sides until they are golden brown.

Mash the garlic cloves with salt. Add to the diced eggplant along with the pepper powder and lemon juice.

Serve hot!


This recipe is really very crispy and very easy to prepare too. I am sending this to Siri's AWED:Middle Eastern Cuisine and here is the link to Dhivya's Blog. Also I am sending this to fortune cooking contest of Spicy Tasty.

And now for my second Award. I was really taken by surprise when Roopa of RV Kitchen Treatsgave me the 'Yummy Blog Award'. I was so happy. Thanks roopa. It is very encouraging to get these new awards. Make me feel more committed to my blog.



I am passing this to

Asha of Aromahope
Bhags of Crazy Curry
Rinku of Cooking with Rinku
Gaurav of Gastronome by choice
Sagari of Indian cooking

Enjoy friends!

And as per the tradition my favorite desserts are
1. Carrot halwa
2. Kaju Katli
3.Gulob Jamun
4.Rasamalai

Once again Thanks Roopa.

17 comments:

interesting appetizer......congrats for the award....thanks for passing it to me

Easy and delicious appetizer, congrats on ur award

That must've been tasty! And congrats on the award! :)

this one is a nice n interesting appetizer why dont u send it to mansis monthly mingle as well...

Beautiful dish,easy to make too. I love Eggplants in any way you make, my kids hate them!:D
Enjoy the award and thanks for giving it to me too. Hugs, enjoy your weekend, see you on Monday!:)

delicious appetizer. looks good. congrats on the award.

somethin new,..thnks for sharing,..

First time on your blog...terrific appetizer...will be a big hit with folks. Thnx for the award...its my first :))

Interesting and easy dish! Sounds v tasty too!

can is end juice for ur event?,..

congrats for your award and thanku soooooo much for choosing me

umm..they look crisp n nice. Good one!

hi,imeant can i send juice for ur event..

yummy appetizer......congrats for the award....thanks for sharing.
would love to see on my blog.

This dish is simple and looks delicious!

Congrats! That looks delish! I know Gujju's prepare something similar - can't recall the name!