SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

12.10.2008

Intimidated by the road side shops, I made...

When I was working back in India, I used to take my office bus for commutation. Most of time I fall asleep in my return journey. But, the few time I was awake, I was intimidated by the road side biriyani shops. They have a very big vessel (Anda in Tamil) and they will prepare mostly Egg biriyani, which would taste divine, I was told.

Egg Biriyani Recipe

I wanted to try Egg Biriyani at home but the option was ruled out when I was in India. But here, I tried it. I couldn't compare the taste because I have not tasted the shop biriyani. However, I can say at least, it looked like the one served in shops. Here is the recipe

Ingredients:

4 Boiled Eggs
1 cup Basmati Rice
1 tsp biryani masala pdr
1 tsp black cumin or regular cumin
1 tbspn Butter
1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
4 chopped Green Chillies
1 cup mint
1 tbsp oil
1 large Onions
2 cup Plain Yogurt
Salt to taste
2 bay leaves
2-3 cloves
2 cinnamon stick
few cashews

To marinate the Egg:

1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 egg
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp besan flour

Method:

Add oil in a pan. Add the Bayleaf,cloves and cinnamon. Add some black or regular cumin seeds and onion.

Saute them and add the salt.

Add cashew nuts. Saute.

Add green chillies, coriander leaves and mint.

Add ginger garlic paste and mix well.

Add 1 cup of curd and biriyani masala powder (50g) and mix well.

Add water (2 cups) and add 1 cup of rice.

Check for seasoning and if all fine then cover it with lid and allow it to cook in a medium flame.

Meanwhile prepare the marination for the eggs (OPTIONAL) - I have prepared both ways and I liked when it is not marinated. So the choice is yours.

In a bowl, add chilli powder, ginger garlic paste,coriander powder,cumin powder, basan flour and mix well.

Add egg white to this mixture. Mix well and coat the boiled eggs with this marination.

In a pan, add butter and shallow fry these marinated eggs.

When the rice is done, mix this egg with the rice carefully.

If you want you can add orange color to the rice.

Garnish it with some coriander leaves and serve hot with raita or any side dish of your choice.

7 comments:

Oh yeah I remember those "Andas" too... that did give it some appeal to the whole Biriyani, didn't it?
I miss road kadai food...
Yours looks very nice!

I always love roadside food ... aren't they soo tasty

You should be glad you don't live near me, or I'd be hanging out at your house every day begging for food! ;)

Reminds me of all the street food back in India. Brought back some nice memories :)

the egg biriyani looks delicious!! I am yet to try egg biriyani, have never made or tasted it, to be honest!! :-)

PS: Sangeeth, I am hosting a "Santa's Holiday Challenge" with giveaways on my blog. Please do check it out!!

Looks just great. The colour is inviting