SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

10.21.2008

Authentic Kanchipuram idly - A South Indian Delicacy

Kanchipuram is my mom's native. I have been to Kanchipuram only twice. Both the times, to attend my relative's marriage. Though I know Kanchipuram is famous for its temples, the first thing that pops my mind is the Idly. The most famous South Indian breakfast recipe as far as I know.



As a kid, I got carried away by the name. Even the same with Kushboo Idly. Do you even know the etymology of this idly variety? I have to do some research now. Is it the Hindi word meaning smell or aroma or is it referring to the South Indian actress Kushboo. I'll never know.

OK back to our Kanchipuram Idly. To prepare this recipe you will need,

1 cup split black gram (urad dal)
1 cup raw rice
1 cup boiled rice
1 tablespoon split Bengal gram (chana dal)
1 tsp cumin seeds
3/4 cup sour curd
Few fried cashews
4 green chillies, chopped(optional)
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 teaspoon pepper powder or freshly ground pepper
3 to 4 chopped curry leaves
1 tablespoons ghee or Oil
salt to taste
oil for greasing the Idly plates.



How to Prepare Kanchipuram Idly?

Soak both the rice together and Urad dal separately.

Make the Idly batter as shown in this how to make idly batter video.

When you are going to make the idly, in a pan, add a tsp of ghee/oil and saute urad dal,channa dal, cumin seeds, curry leaves, pepper, ginger.

Add this to the fermented batter along with fried cashews and sour curd. Mix well.

Greece the Idly cooker, or the Idly maker with little oil so that the Idlys come out without sticking.

Pour the batter and cook it for 15-20 min.

Serve hot with Chutney/Dip or the famous Milagai Podi.

13 comments:

Idlis are my favs but Krish hates them :( When I see your Idlis I feel invited back home :)

Ramya, I know I have a big list like that...most of favorites are not my husband's :(

\i love to try all types of indian recipes.. thank you for posting..

andy
www.recipebuddys.com

I've never tried making these, but now I want to. I can just imagine how good they tasted.

oh, this looks delicious.... A nice twist from the usual plain idli!!

Sangeeth, I remember them being called Kushboo idlis, because they were bloated up like her.
Not a great analogy they did, but I do like your idlis.

I love your idlis.. I've heard a lot about kanchipuram idlis, but never tried them.. Look gorgeous..

Prefect they r..Tempting presentation..

Sangeeth,
They look awesome.
I am really intrigued by Khushboo idli. Never heard of that before!

those idlys look nice and soft. yummo

Hey Sangee,

Nive here for the first time hehe... Kushboo idly was named after the South Indian actress. This idly is meant to be very soft and fluffy and thats why the name ....This is the etymology gal....

This comment has been removed by the author.

Thank you for sharing and I want to share information about Madras Bistro which offers a wide range of delicious North and South Indian vegetarian dishes. Situated in the heart of Bergen County, Madras Bistro is located in Hackensack, NJ.