SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

9.29.2008

Cream of Tomato soup with bread crumbs - Tried and Tasted! & WYF

T&T is one of my favorite food events. When Zu announced that this month it is all about Sia's recipes I knew I had to participate with more than 1 recipe. But, you know it doesn't always happen as you think. I have been waiting for a perfect opportunity to try out Sia's recipes and boom! came last Friday!

Nothing special, but my husband was in a great mood to eat something new and tasty. A big 'no! no!' to restaurants because we had already crossed last week's quota! I had to prepare something very healthy and tasty. I already bookmarked few of Sia's recipes to try out for this event and in a flash I remembered cream of tomato soup was one among them.



Soups tastes great if we use vegetable stock in its preparation. But, I did not have vegetable stock in stock! Stock in stock!lol!did you get it?If not, I am a lousy humor writer. But, I did have the drained water from the Panner making process. It serves as a great substitute to the vegetable stock. It is true, the Paneer water makes the soup taste even great! Like restaurant soups!

Now coming to tomato soup, the Soup recipe of Sia's is perfect on its own. But I had to lightly modify according to our needs. Here is the Cream of Tomato Soup recipe for you,

Ingredients:

1/2 medium Onion
2 big ripe red Tomatoes
1 Bay Leaves
1 tsp Corn Flour
1/4 cup Milk
1 tbsp Butter
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 tsp sugar
2 garlic flakes
basil or oregano(optional)




Method:

Heat butter in a pan and add bay leaf and chopped onions.

Saute them for 2-3 minutes and Garlic flakes.

Now add the chopped tomatoes. Fry them.

Add enough water/vegetable stock/water from Panner preparation to cover the pieces and cook till tomatoes become tender.

Cool the mixture and blend it. Strain well.

Make sure you cool the mixture before you blend and while straining, use a big filter so that the staining process becomes easy and fast. Especially if you are doing this soup for more people, straining may take time.

Make a white sauce with milk and corn flour.

Heat the strained soup with salt & sugar. Stir occasionally.

Add the white sauce slowly while stirring the soup.

Cook in reduced flame for few more minutes.

Serve hot sprinkled with pepper powder along with bread crumbs.

Making this tomato soup with basil is considered to be very healthy. But, I did not use it in my soup because I didn't have basil at home. But, I suggest you all to give it a try. You need to add basil while adding onions and fry them too.

How to make Bread Crumbs:

Take a slice of bread and cut it into small cubes or required size.

In a pan add some oil and deep fry the bread pieces for 2 sec and then add them to the soup.

OR

Toast a bread slice in high for 1 min in a toaster and then cut into small cubes.

Either way the bread tastes great with the soup!

Enjoy early mornings of winter/rainy days or any day for that matter with this cream of tomato soup.

I am sending this recipe to Zlamushka's T&T and to EC's WYF- Salad/Started/Soups

10 comments:

Sounds really good. Great for winter months.

Looks yummy,creamy and delicious :)

That is a lovely yellow color, and with bread to soak up all the soupy goodness, I am totally digging it.

Ohh, the soup looks so delicious and creamy!

soup looks yummmy.. i also have another recipe for tomato soup which comes out very good as well.

Nice one...looks really creamy, thanks for participating

WOW.....The cream looks delicious ,creamy and rich ....I can't take my eyes out of it :)

I could use a bowl of this warming soup just now. What a great idea to use paneer water!

Thank you so much for participating T&T. I am also sorry for replying this late... work and stuff. Could use a bowl of warm tomato soup right now....