SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

11.20.2008

Foodie Chat - Lauren from Vegan Yum Yum!

FoodieChat  - Vegan YumyumWhen I was searching for tips to take good food photographs, I came across this Vegan Yum.Yum blog of Lauren's. I visited her blog to learn about food photography but, ended up learning more than that. She has a great collection of recipes and is one of the best food photographers. All her pictures are treats to our eyes. With no further delay, I present Lauren!

Why and when did you start blogging?

I started blogging in December of 2006. I wanted a way to keep track of the food I was eating, and an easy way to show people what vegans actually eat!

Why did you choose Food as a topic to blog?

It's easy for me to talk about! I think about food all the time, and there is always something new to learn or new to try, so it's a great topic for blogging. And it's something everyone can relate to.

Can you give some tips on time management?

Do you mean while cooking? I manage my time best with the recipes I make consistently; I know what pans to use, when to start each part of the meal, and how to make sure everything finishes together. It's worth it to me to spend a few minutes before cooking to figure out what my "game plan" is so that I can get everything done as efficiently as possible. Sometimes, though, I make the dish up as I go along, so it's impossible to plan. I try to enjoy myself in the kitchen, so when I don't have any time constraints I don't really care how long it takes to make a meal. Cooking is half the fun!

In a day, how many hours you spend blogging?

That depends. On a day where I do a post, I can spend several hours to all day (planning the recipe, cooking, plating, photographing, editing the photos, writing, and editing the post). On non-post days I spend a good amount of time responding to reader emails and working on special projects that relate to the blog, like magazine articles or interviews like this!

Do you have any other hobbies other than blogging?

I do like to knit, but that tends to be a winter hobby for me. I take photos of lots of things besides food, so photography would definitely be a hobby!Knit Night Cupcakes


Sangeeth: I would like to barge in here and share the Knit night cupcakes made by Lauren. Very cute and creative.

To know more about her talents, do visit her about page. You will be surprised.

Do you see any change in your blogging habits?

Definitely. When I first started I posted simply what I ate that day, where as now I always try to create a new, original recipe for my readers.


There are many food blogs now, what do you think is the major difference between a food blog and a website that shares recipes?

I think food blogs are more personal. There is a story that goes with the recipe, and it could be anything from what it was like to actually make it (hard, easy, annoying), or where the recipe came from. I also think on a website that just shares recipes it's harder to be honest about a bad recipe, where as you can post a failure on your blog and people respond to that just as much as a recipe that's a success. My readers actually really like it when I say, "I totally messed this recipe up, it was terrible!"

What advice do you give to the new comers?

Like anything, the more you do it, the better you get. Focus on writing the blog that you wish you could find on the Internet, and you'll have a good website. Also, photos are key! If you're a reader, you can't smell or taste the food yourself; it's good to be able to at least see it!


Which is your favorite cuisine and why?

This is impossible for me to answer! It really depends on what mood I'm in and what I'm craving. I don't think there's a single cuisine I've tried that I've disliked.

You are a regular reader of ....

I read lots of food blogs, especially vegan ones like Have Cake, Will Travel and Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. But I also read some non-vegan food blogs as well!

Do you cook frozen food?Whats your perception of frozen food?

I cook with frozen food in moderation. I like frozen peas and corn, but I never buy frozen entrees or full meals. I like cooking way too much!

When did you first start cooking?

I've been cooking my whole life. I can remember my mother always cooking for us, and I would often hang out in the kitchen and help.


Your favourite cooking show, cookbook, cuisine, restaurant, food

I don't have cable TV, but I do watch cooking shows on PBS occasionally. I never cook from cookbooks, so I don't actually have a favorite, and I love all cuisines! As far as restaurants, I love Millennium in San Francisco and Candle 79 in New York City.

Who/what is your inspiration?

The food itself is often my inspiration!

Have you cooked/tasted Indian cuisine?

Yes! I have a few Indian recipes on my blog, including kaju katli, aloo parathas, and some curries. Yum!

Any tips for Healthy cooking?

I don't focus on healthy cooking, so I can't say that's my expertise!

Your achievements as far as blogging is concerned so far.

I've one a few awards from VegNews magazine, and I was on the Martha Stewart Show earlier this year.

I love your pictures. Your Photography secrets?

The short list: use natural light, no flash, and stabilize your camera for clear, crisp shots!

Sangeeth: Its me again, here is her blog post on Food photography tips. If you have time, just go through it. It is very simple and easy to follow. I bet, you will never come out her blog without bookmarking few recipes!

If given a chance, about which cuisine would you like to learn more? why?

I'd love to learn more about Indian cuisine since I feel like I've just barely scratched the surface. I'd especially love to learn the differences between regional Indian cooking. I also would love to learn more about Chinese and Vietnamese cuisine!

If asked to share one recipe from your blog, which would you choose and why?

Aloo ParathasI don't think there is one recipe that represents my blog, but perhaps the miniature doughnuts I made or these aloo parathas!- http://veganyumyum.com/2007/11/aloo-parathas/

Why is it difficult for many vegetarians to convert to vegans?

It's hard to say, and I think you'll get a different answer from any person you ask. I think a lot of people think going vegan is such a huge change that it's unmanageable.

Why should one become vegan?

I'm not vegan for health or environmental reasons, but they are certainly great bonuses. I'm personally vegan because it's a lifestyle that matches my own personal ethics and world view: love and compassion for all, not just humans.

Did you like the interview? Are you a vegan? or do you have plans to become a vegan? Do let us know by commenting below.


I would like to Thank Lauren for this lovely interview.

If you know anyone whom I can interview for this series, please let me know.

Don’t miss the interview series. Do subscribe in a READER

OR via EMAIL to my blog!

Checkout the previous foodie chats.

1 comments:

Hi Sangeeth,
I am real fan of your blog..few awards r waiting 4 u in my blog..pl. come by and pick them up