SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

10.15.2008

Pudina/Mint Rice/Pulao - My favorite herb recipe

Pudina/Mint is my all time favorite herb. I can eat curd rice with pudina thuvayal all day. Generally I eat this as a Pudina Thuvayal sadam(rice) but this time I wanted to make it with some additional masala and make it as Pudina/Mint Fried Rice/pulao .



The smell of these herbs are really refreshing. You can also use Mint in making Briyani to give it a rich taste. Now for the recipe of Pudina/Mint Rice/Pulao.This recipe serves for 6 people and I am sending this to World Food Day event.

Ingredients:

4 cups Basmati rice (Can use boiled rice too)
1 cup mint leaves
5 green chillies OR Red Chilli whole
6 cloves of garlic
an inch of ginger
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 Bay leaves
2 whole cardamom
a piece of cinnamon stick
salt to taste
1 tbspn Ghee (Clarified Butter)
Tamarind - 1/2 the Lemon size
2 tsp Channa Dal
2 tsp Urad Dal



Method:

In a pan, add ghee and add ural and channa dal.

When they turn light brown in color, add the chillies and tamarind and saute.

Now add the mint leaves and saute for few min.

Allow the mixture to cool and grind it with salt into a fine paste.

Meanwhile, cook the rice in a rice cooker or pressure cooker. Allow the rice to cool after it is cooked.

In a big pan, add ghee and now add the bay leaf,cardamom,cinnamon and cumin seeds.

Now add cashews and fry till they become light brown. Switch off the stove.

Now add the rice and mix well.

Add the Pudina/Mint mixture and mix well. Add 2 tsp of ghee while mixing.

Check for salt.

This is my traditional way of cooking Mint/Pudina rice/Pulao. There are other ways of doing this too.

This rice is best eaten with chips,Papad or Potato. We had Potato fry,Papad and Mint rice for our dinner last weekend.

18 comments:

Thank you Sangeeth for contributing to the WFD Event with this lovely recipe.

Wonderful combo, its been a long time since I ever saw and had such gracious food...

its looking so good, i am feeling hungry already!

I love mint, too. It is overtaking my garden though!

Here, I was thinking you were gonna bake again another monster/ghost!
Looks homely.

I would love to attack that platter..;-).Yummy pulao..mint makes any dish tasty isn't it?Your recipe sounds quite simple and easy,got to try it out definitely!!Great entry!!

i too posted this recipe last month, but it was bit different :)

I make same method except tamarind i wont add that...looks nice

//I can eat curd rice with pudina thuvayal all day.///


ஹய்ய்யோ! செம சூப்பர் ஐட்டம் தயிர் சாதம் (கொஞ்சம் கெட்டியா இருக்கணும்) + புதினா துவையல் அப்புறம் லொக்கேஷன் வந்து மொட்டைமாடி - நிலா வெளிச்சம் இன்னும் ரம்யமா இருக்கும் :))

நீங்க செஞ்சிருக்கிற புதினா சாதம் அதுக்கு காம்பினேஷன் அப்பளம் அப்புறம் உ.கிழங்கு பொடிமாஸ் (கரீக்டதானே!) அருமையான ஜோடிகள்!

உருளை கிழங்கு பொடிமாஸ்ல கொஞ்சம் மொறுமொறுன்னு வறுத்து வந்திருந்தா இன்னும் கூட சூப்பரூ

வாழ்த்துக்கள் & நன்றிகள் செஞ்ச உங்களுக்கு!

செஞ்சு பாக்கிறேன் :))

wow, yummy rice! with that potato fry at the side sure makes me hungry again! mint gives such a nice color to the rice.

Thank you so much Sangeeth for this delicious recipe for our conga line of interational dishes. We are excited to include you:D

Today is World Food Day Sangeeth. Come on over and join the party. Thank you so much for all you havwe done to spread the word on this global issue. Now ....let's DANCE!!!!!

Looks delicious...I can imagine the taste of this rice :-)

I can almost smell the mint in that one! :)

Mmm I love pulao... thanks for the recipe.