SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

9.16.2008

Foodie Chat - An Interview with The Leftover Queen!



As a newbie in this foodie world, I had lot of questions, lot of hesitations to contact people, a lot of unanswered questions about whom to contact and how to proceed in the right track. I did not have an experienced person to guide me. Every one would have struggled their way to get to the place where they are now. To get the inspiration and determination to sustain in this foodie blog world, I had an idea to interview foodies who are successful.

This is not only an interview, but my way of telling thanks and crediting the person who has achieved so much in this foodie world. Through this interview series, I want to make sure that we all learn more about the foodie and also their extraordinary work.

When this ‘Interview’ thought hit my mind, I had few people immediately into the list and one such person is Jenn. Who is Jenn? The left over Queen. Ha! now you remember! She is more commonly known as the ‘Leftover Queen’ and the proud owner of www.leftoverqueen.com and the mega Foodie Blog roll.

Jenn, one of the foodies you must get to know, is from Florida. If you have been to her website before, I am sure you wouldn't have left her site without subscribing. Yes! She has a variety of recipes stocked and the food photography is awesome. I have seen many pictures which makes people hungry by the very sight of it. You can check out her Gallery for more. It is really a treat for our eyes.

There is no need to introduce you to the Foodie Blogroll. One of the most happening blogrolls I have ever come across. I got many friends through this blogroll and I suggest all the foodies to get enrolled. Click for more details on how to enroll

When mentioning about her website, I ought to mention about the forum she has created and maintained (Hats off Jenn! You are doing a great job there) for us foodies to share our views and exchange ideas. 

Enjoy reading the interview!


Sangeeth: How did u get the idea of blogging?

Jenn: I have always loved to write, and food is one of my favorite things to talk about, read about and experiment with. So it just made sense to start a blog.

S: When did u start blogging?

J: August 2006

S: Why did you choose this topic to blog?

J: Because it is one of my favorite topics!

S: Mine too, cooking is an art and you can never say a ‘NO’ to something highly creative.

S: In a day, how many hours you spend blogging?

J: Usually about 6-8 - that includes responding to emails, comments and writing/photographing for posts and all the Foodie Blogroll maintenance.


S: Do you have any other hobbies other than blogging?

J: Well, cooking and eating of course,but I also enjoy reading, going to the movies, taking walks on the beach with my husband.

S: Beaches!!! One of the reason I love florida!

S: Do you find the absence of advertisements essential, or rather: do you
feel that it is a strength in terms of independence and reliability?

J: I think it depends on the person and their blog. I don't see anything wrong with advertising, especially when we all put so much time and effort into our blogs, it makes sense to be compensated for that.

S: I specifically asked this question because, there are people in the web who says ads are distraction. But as you said, it depends on the person and their blog.

S: Do you see any change in your blogging habits?

J: I spend a lot more time blogging than I used to, and the time increases as the time goes by.

S: Magic of blogging!

S: Where do you see your blog 1 year from now?

J: Hopefully very much in the same place that it is right now. But hopefully with more readership! A girl can dream a little right? :)

S: What advice do you give to the new comers?

J: NETWORK. That is the best way to get to know others in the blogging community and for others to get to know you. If you want people to comment and become a regular reader of your blog, you need to go out there and do the same on other blogs - get yourself out there.

S: Very true. What you do is what you get in return. I recently wrote a post on Top 10 Social Networking Sites for Foodies which might be of some relevance here.

S: Do you have any other blogs other than the food blog?

J: I have Jenn's Travel Closeup http://www.travelcloseup.com -My first blog. I write about the places we travel to and also do restaurant reviews.

S: What do you feel about recent copyright issues?

J: I have always felt that as long as you follow the copyright laws for recipe writing you should be fine. I have had some issues in the past with people stealing my content without giving the proper credit. When that has happened in the past, I was able to get the person to remove that content from their blog by going through the hosting company. If someone credits me, I have no problem with them posting my recipes.

S: You are a regular reader of ....

J: There are too many to list, but off the top of my head:

No Fear Entertaining
The Olive Notes
Kalofagas
Souvlaki For the Soul
Foto Cuisine:
Spanish Recipes
The Gluten Free Hippie
More Than Burnt Toast
Dad~Baker & Chef
What's Cooking?
Coco Cooks
Gild the Voodolily
Sugar Plum

S: How do you keep in touch with your fellow bloggers, do you use social
sites?

J: Mostly through our blogs. There are also some that I email regularly and I am a big fan of facebook and Foodbuzz.

S: How blogging has changed your life?

J: It has become the best job in the world, I never knew existed 3 years ago. The changes it has made to my life is all positive, from the great new friends I have met, to the daily inspiration.

S: Your favourite cooking show, cookbook, cuisine, restaurant, food?

J: My favorite food is Mediterranean, if I have to pick just one, Lebanese or Greek. My favorite food related show is Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. My favorite cookbook is the Mediterranean Diet Cookbook, my favorite restaurant is Marrakesh in VA.

S: Who/what is your inspiration?

J: All the people that support me in my life, my husband, Roberto and my mom, as well as all the wonderful food bloggers I have become friends with over these years. I always refer back to the simple cooking of my grandparents and I am always inspired by the way food can bring people together across cultures. It is a beautiful thing.

S: Do you host your blog in your own domain? what blog hosts you suggest
for a new blogger/experienced blogger?

J: Yes, I have my own domain. I think this is the best, because you have a lot of flexibility. But the most user friendly free hosting company out there has got to be blogger (blogspot)

S: Yey! I use blogspot!

S: How do you cope up with the technical requirements for being a blogger?

J: I have a technical genius of a husband who takes care of the technical side of my blog! Thank Goodness!

S: If people want to contact you through social media, are you available?

J: Yes, I am very good at getting back to people via email or my blog.


S: How did you get the idea of Blogroll?


J: I felt there was a need for it. There is such a huge food blogging community on line. At the time that I started my blog, there was no place for food bloggers to get together and network. So I decided to take that idea and run with it.


S: Why did you want to write a book? Let us know more about your book 'The Secret Energy of Love Through Food.'

J: I love to write and have been doing writing of various kinds all through my life. My book, The Secret Energy of Love Through Food is the cumulation of my years working for a holistic doctor and my own research in the kitchen. I have a passion for food, but also for a healthy lifestyle. Also, I think people show people how much they care for one another through cooking and food everyday. This book celebrates that and gives inspiration to do it more often!


S: Last question, Have you been to my site before?Do you have any comments for me?

J: I am glad that you contacted me, because that introduced me to your blog. Indian cuisine is one that I love, but have rarely made at home. I am always looking for delicious, healthy and simple recipes so that I can explore the cuisine more.


S: You have to give it a try, Jenn. Indian cuisine has more variety than you expect.

That’s it folks! Also, Jenn, along with her friends, is conducting O Foods for Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month Contest! in honor of Gina DePalma, author of Dolce Italiano: Desserts from the Babbo Kitchen and Executive Pastry Chef of Babbo Ristorante in NYC, who was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Please take a minute to read and will surely appreciate if you could contribute.

I thank you all for reading this interview. I am planning to do more such interviews and I am working towards it. Hope to see you soon with another interview of a great foodie!

I take this opportunity to Thank Jenn for her quick response to the interview request despite her busy schedule.

Don’t miss the interview series. Do subscribe in a READER

OR via EMAIL to my blog!

I appreciate your comments and suggestions, any question in particular for future interviews. Also, if you would like to ask Jenn anything in addition to these above questions, do let me know through your comments.

16 comments:

That's gud work Sangeeth, gud idea. And ofcoz gud to knw more abt our Leftover Queen too. Keep up the work :)

Thanks Priti....getting an appreciation after a hardwork is such a nice feeling!Thanks for your encouragement.

hey you have done a great job, Sangeeth! Way to go dear! Enjoyed reading the interview! Waiting for more! Best of luck!

wowow sangeeth. an excellent effort. and i must say a unique idea. this sure will b a hit and increase ure readership. i just subscribed thru email. all the best and will keep a look out for more. i too keep reading abt how to increase readeship. thanks for the extra info.

done a good job sangeetham! enna aalaye kanom!

Good job Sangeeth. Its kind of recogonising them and also bringing the readers little closer.
Looking forward to more of this kind.

Thanks Sangeeth for the interview! You did a great job! It was so much fun. I think this is a great idea you have - I love getting to know more about our foodie friends too! :)

Great interview! Jenn is one of my favorite bloggers.

It is always getting a pleasure getting to know our fellow bloggers.

Great Job! You do many interesting foodie things Sangeeth, besides recipes, and thats what makes your site unique!

all,
Thanks very much and I had great fun interviewing Jenn.

That was a fantastic interview! Thank you for taking it on and sharing.

I really enjoyed this interview! You had some great questions.

Loved reading the interview Sangeeth. Thank you very much for introducing us to the leaders in food blogging.