SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

8.29.2008

Raw rice pudding/Payasam/dessert and awards!

When I was in my middle school, our neighbour does 'Pournami pooja', which is nothing but performing special prayers for good fortunes and spiritual evolvement on every full moon day. She is a pious lady. Every time, I will be sitting at her home for this pooja just to eat the prasadam she offers. We used to sing to the god and perform arathi.

Every time she gives this raw rice payasam after the prayers are over. You know, as a kid, I went there mostly for eating this raw rice payasam. After I went to high school, we shifted our house and apparently lost touch with her and her payasam.



Recently, I remembered this recipe and wanted to prepare it. So here I am sharing the recipe of Raw rice Payasam/pudding, my favourite dessert.



Ingredients:

1/4 cup raw rice, which when fried in ghee and coarsely blended must give 1 cup of powdered rice.

1 cup of sugar

1 tbsp of ghee (clarified butter)

few cashews and raisins

1 cup of milk

Method:

In a pan, add ghee and saute the rice.

In a blender, coarsely powder the rice.

In a pan, add milk and cook the powdered rice.

Add sugar. Beware! the rice must be cooked properly before adding the sugar. Sugar doesn't allow the rice to get cooked.

Add fried cashews and raisins and serve hot or you can refrigerate it and serve cold. Both ways it tastes divine.


Now for the awards.

I got this 'Good job' award from sowmya. Thanks girl!



and I am passing this to,

Srilekha of Sri's kitchen
Ramya of Ramya cooks
Medha of Cook with love
Divya Vikram of Dilse
Marija of Palachinka

Also few days back I received the 'Wylde Woman Award' from kitchen flavour and srilekha



which I am passing to the whole food bloggers ofcourse who are women :)

And Yasmeen have passed me the Arte Y Pico award.



The rules of the award are:
1. Choose 5 blogs that you consider deserving of this award for their creativity, design, interesting material, and their contribution to the blogging community.
2. Each award has to have the name of the author and a link to his/her blog.
3. Each award winner has to show the award and put the name of and link to the blog that presented her/him with the award.
4. The award winner and the one who has given the prize has to show the link of Arte Y Pico blog so everyone will know the origin of this award.
5. Show these rules.

I would like to award it to

Sia of monsoonspice.
Meeta of whats for lunch honey?
Cynthia of Tastes like home
Madhuram of egglesscooking
Jai and Bee of Jugalbandi

I must say, all the above mentioned 5 blogs have been an inspiration to me someway or the other. They all deserve more!

Those in the US, enjoy your Labour day weekend!!!!

10 comments:

lovely pudding Sangeeth! Looks so delicious.

Congrats on your awards! Thanks for trying out my bell pepper rings. Hope you liked them.

Sangeeth, thank you girl! I am so honored!

Thank you so much Sangeeth and Congratulations to you too. I am touched...:)

congrats on all your awards girl!:)

That's a nice one...Congrats for all the awards

looks yum,..nd congrtas fro all the awards,..

Yummy...Something special for u here http://simpleindianfood.blogspot.com/2008/08/carrot-tofu-sevai.html

Congratulations for those awards dear. Payasam looks gr8.

Congrats on your awards Sangeeth!

Raw rice payasam is definitely new to me. I know one payasam, my grandmother used to prepare, grinding rice, coconut and jaggery.

Congrats on all your awards and thank you for passing it to me as well.