SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

8.12.2008

An Authentic South Indian Sweet/Dessert and Awards

If anyone asks me, which would you call as an authentic South Indian sweet, I would probably think and tell more than one. Yes! Indians especially the South Indians, love sweets. One such rich sweet is 'Sweet Pongal' also called Chakara Pongal. It is made with Rice and Moong Dal. You can also call it Pudding? I guess so.Not sure though.

Anyways, Ven Pongal and Chakara (Sweet) Pongal are made specifically on one of the South Indian Festival called 'Pongal'. Pongal is considered to be the harvest festival and is celebrated in India as one of the auspicious day. It is similar to the Thanksgiving. Generally this festival is for 4 days and you can know more about the Pongal festival following the link.

Even now, in Temples we get this Pongal as 'prasad'. They give only little but it will taste like 'Amridham'. I love this recipe. This is one of the easiest and richest sweets I know.



Ingredients:

1 cup raw rice
1/2 cup moong dal
1 cup ghee/butter
few cashews
few raisins
1 cup Jaggery
4-5 cups of water

Method:

In a Rice cooker or an ordinary cooker, cook the raw rice and moong dal together with water. For both Ven Pongal and sweet pongal, you must cook with excess water.

When this is cooked in a pan, melt the jaggery and filter it if it contains any dust particles.

Add this jaggery water to this cooked mixture and mix well.

In a pan, add ghee/butter and saute cashews and raisins. Add this along with the ghee to the cooked mixture and mix well.

Serve hot.

Note: Before serving, if you add little more melted butter/ghee, the taste will be awesome.

Now for the awards. It has been a while that I received any awards. I am happy to receive the following awards,

My Dear Uma and Srilekha, gave me the following awards. Thanks you so much. It means a lot to me. Getting recognized, is a very proud feeling.






Again Uma and EC have passed on the following awards to me. Thanks gals....



I am passing these awards to the following blog friends,

Karuna
Akshyapathram
SMN
Kurma
Maheshwari
Vedha Murthy
Nirmala Jagadesan
Claudia Davila (Fran)
House of Anne
Tart Reform
Heart and Hearth

They all deserve it. Enjoy buddies!

13 comments:

Wow, thank you Sangeeth! This is indeed a lovely surprise, and the first ever award I get for my recipes/blog! And congratulations for your much-deserved recognition :-)

Congratulations on your awards! And you're passing them to me??? Wow! Thank you, thank you very much! I am truly honored!
- Ning, Heart and Hearth

Pongal is such a comfort food Sangeeth! Your pongal looks so delicious and tempting. Congrats on the well deserved awards.

Looks like nice sweet.... congrats

i love pongal. havent tried the sweet version. this looks yummy.
congrats on ure awards. and thank u soooo much for passing them on to me. it means a lot.

Congrats on your award and I love pongal.Nice pic.

i love chakra pongal too..congrats on your awards..

Thanks a lot Sangeeth! I appreciate your kindness and every comment you leave in my blog.

Congrats on the awards. Hey i also blogged pongal recently.. urs looks delicious.
Thank you for passing it to me..

Thanks a ton Sangeeth!.Really appreciate it...

Wow recipe looks very easy to cook and healthy to eat.

Congratulations on winning those awards.

very nice blog...:) check mine tooo