SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

11.05.2008

Garam Masala - Spice it up!

Garam Masala is a spice which plays an important role in almost all the North Indian recipes and few south Indian recipes. It is a spice powder which is used to add the flavor of the recipe. Garam Masala literally means 'Hot Spice'.

Garam Masala

This again can be prepared in many different ways and mostly we will be following our family recipe and here is my family recipe for Garam Masala Powder.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons cumin seeds
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons cardamom seeds
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon grated nutmeg


Instructions:

In a pan, add all the spices and fry them for few minutes until they turn light brown in color and your kitchen is filled with their aroma.

Allow it to cool.

Grind the mixture into a fine powder.

You can store this powder for 1 month in an air tight container.

This powder is used in many of the North Indian side dishes. Here are some of the recipes which uses Garam masala in their preperation.

8 comments:

Oh wonderful! You posted about Garam Masala. Will definitely show my husband this one. :) Thanks!

mmm, nice that you make them I usually ask my mom to make it for me... But Cumin seeds are new to me in this recipe I shall try making this...

mmm. I can smell it from the picture! Nothing can beat home-made ones!

indian food is never complete without garam masala. thanks for sharing the recipe

sounds delicious Sangeeth! we add star anise and javantari too, but I know, every home has its own GM recipe:)

I have never prepared garam masala, usually I get the store-bought ones, will give yours a try :)

Hi Sangeeth,
I miss the taste of garam masala which my mom prepare at home. Those sold in markets neither has such an aroma nor the taste. You gave me a great idea to prepare at home. thanks