SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

6.26.2008

Jiggiri Dost - A Sweet with Apple and Jaggery

I felt very bad when I missed the Open Sesame 1. It is such a lovely event giving work to our brain and our creativity. Thanks DK and siri for hosting such a lovely event. Find the event details for Open Sesame 2.


I chose box no:1 and within few hours came the riddle.


moniker in my name for a city

A phrase with me will make you cherished

I am so good for you in my utter simplicity

In Medical dictionary the fact so furnished


I am so famous in the world of bytes

Known for many aspects of usage

I am fat and rotound and make crunchy bites

My fame known from many religious traditions - right from the old age


Am, I forbidden? Or mystical ?

or the eternal giver of Youth

I consists of five internal carpels

Am good for good health of your mouth


I am as basic a fruit as you can think of

Or as hard if you dont try enough

If You eat me on a day to day basis

Then you dont have worry about anything - be it cold or dry cough

When I first read the riddle I immediately thought it must be Apple. However, I confirmed with the help of Wikipedia for I didn't know that 'A moniker in my name for a city' is 'appellation' and the fact that Apple had 5 carpels. When I was sure, I sent my answer and was right at the first go.Yey me!


After that the main thought was, what can I prepare differently with apple? I did not want to post apple milkshake or apple pie as they are the most common and predictable recipes made with apple. I thought of making a sweet with coconut so that I can send it to AFAM-coconut hosted by suganya too. Here comes 'Jiggiri Dost' Meaning best friend.


Why I kept this name? When I was discussing this with my dad, he suggested this name because I used Jaggery and Roasted it. So instead of Jaggery I used Jiggiri and instead of Roast I used Dost to name the dish . very creative huh? all credits goes to my dad for naming this recipe.


Ingredients:

To make the dough:

1 cup of All purpose flour

1/2 cup of rice flour

Salt for taste

1 tsp of chilli powder


For filling:

gratted Apple 1 cup

1/2 cup coconut

few roasted cashewnuts

1 cup of Jaggery

Oil for deep fry


Method:

In a bowl, add all the ingredients to prepare the dough. Make it like a chappati dough. Let it rest for 15 mts.


In a pan, add jaggery and water and make it a paste. Filter the liquid so that dirt from the jaggery is removed.


Add the grated apple to the jaggery liquid and fry till the moisture is removed.


Add the coconut and roasted cashew and mix well. Let it cool.


Make small balls from the dough and roll it like you do for chapatti.


Place the filling inside and roll it as you will do for vegetable spring rolls.


Deep fry in oil. Serve hot.

Note: This recipe will be delicious when hot.


Variation: You can also use this filling and make kozhukatai and name it apple kozhukattai.


Also you can use it as stuffing in poli and make apple poli.

23 comments:

The filling sounds delicious, Sangeeth! Looks almost like sweet egg rolls... Yummy!! :)

wow, it sure sounds sweet and yummy!! congrats on getting the riddle right on the first try,, Sangeeth...perfect entry!! :-)

Very creative recipe and name Sangeeth. I also got apple and did something similar to this. I'll be posting it tomorrow.

These look so much like spicy bajji's. Thanks for sharing the recipe of a creative snack!

wow sangeeth..very delicious..innovative dish

hey thats so creative...nice one,,,

Wowo.. interesting sweet!!! never had these!!!

thats one cute name Sangeeth..Lovely entry!

Cheers,
Siri

Very nice recipe, looks great, yummy yummyyyyy!!!!

Halfway through the recipe my mouth started watering - I am sure that tastes great. The name is good too - reminded me of Amitabh and Dharam in Sholay:)

Innovative sangeeth..n looks delicious too...

Jiggiry dost is indeed a creative name Sangeeth! It looks delicious too.

thts a nice one sangeeth! and a cute name too :)
congrats on getting the answer rite the first time itself

Nice recipe with apple..yet to pos mine with apple..Nice creative name too

Hi Sangeeth! You have something in my blog. Check it out here:

http://teluguruchi.blogspot.com/2008/06/all-in-one-prizes-awards-and-meme.html

Hope you like it!

hey snageeth, theres something for u on my blog. check it out!!

kya naam rakha hai ... nice nice... very nice entry

And what a sweet reward after unravelling the riddle.

Check out my blog .. a surprise of you :)

hi sangeeth, very nice entry... love the name!! also sounds like an interesting mix of spicy on the outside and sweet in the inside!

Excellent recipe.

Thank you
Puja.