SUBSCRIBE via RSS
What is RSS?

OR SUBSCRIBE Via email:

9.27.2013

Fresh and Yummy Florida Stone Crab Claws

Sometimes we learn about new recipes from television, recipe books or even friends and family. I got an opportunity to learn about a new food, which may not be new to many of you. I am talking about the Florida stone crab claws. My husband loves seafood and he has never tasted crab claws. what next? A delicious crab claw recipe search. I did it and I came across a lot of healthy recipes. Stone crab claws are rich in omega 3 fats that is good for health.

The Florida stone crab, whose scientific name is Menippe mercenaria, is a crab found in the western North Atlantic, from Connecticut to Belize, including Texas, the Gulf of Mexico, Cuba and the Bahamas that is widely caught for food. It’s time to get cracking South Florida as the official start of stone crab season runs from October 15 to May 15.


I did a research on crab claws and came to find a lot of interesting facts.

• When catching catch a crab the claws can be removed, but throw back the crab
• Stone crab claws must be at least 2¾ inches in length to be harvested legally
• Crabs must be captured in baited traps, declawed and released
• Egg bearing females cannot be declawed
• No hooks or spears are allowed

The nice thing about eating stone crab claws, other than they are delicious, is that stone crab claws are the only renewable resource from the water. Crabbers take only one claw from each crab, 
which is then regenerated over time. [Source :CBS Miami]

When searching for a place to buy stone crab claws I came across the Uberstonecrabs They are distributing premium, fresh Stone Crab Claws from their Florida distribution center. Since there is no middleman costs, they are able to give it for a very nominal price. They deliver throughout US and canada which is a major plus. Yey! we need not live in florida to eat them. 

Are you new to crab claws like me? here is a step by step tutorial for boiling crab claws. I am planning to try the popular crab claw recipe once I get my stone crab claws! Will let you know how it turned out.

2 comments:

It may be a too lengthy process but you have described it well. Generally I use to cook traditional dishes and eager to know about easy food recipe tips from recipe blogs.

I love crabs and lobsters. It's really good!